History

Justice Powell
The Lewis F. Powell, Jr., U.S. Courthouse was one of only two buildings in the historic core of Richmond, Virginia, to survive the devastating fire in 1865 that marked the evacuation of the Confederate Army during the last days of the Civil War.  The courthouse was dedicated in 1993 as the Lewis F. Powell, Jr., United States Courthouse in honor of the former Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.