News & Announcements


125th Anniversary of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit

June 16, 2016
Honorable Hugh Lennox Bond

Judge Bond's portrait hangs in the Tweed Courtroom of the Lewis F. Powell, Jr.
U.S. Courthouse.

The first session of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit was held at the United States Courthouse in Richmond, Virginia on June 16, 1891. The judges composing the Court for this ceremonial opening were the Honorable Melville Weston Fuller, Chief Justice of the United States, the Honorable Hugh Lennox Bond, Circuit Judge, and the Honorable John Jay Jackson, District Judge from West Virginia.

Read more about this historic event, reported in the Richmond Dispatch on June 17, 1891:  www.ca4.uscourts.gov/about-the-court/history/richmond-dispatch-june-17-1891

Learn more about the history of the Fourth Circuit at this link: http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/about-the-court/history