Registration For Viewing Case Documents and Electronic Notice of Filings
Viewing Case Documents
- Appellate docket sheets and documents can be viewed via PACER.
- A PACER account is required to view documents.
- Go to https://www.pacer.gov/psco/cgi-bin/regform.pl for PACER account registration information.
- One PACER account may be used to view publicly-accessible documents in all federal courts.
Receiving Electronic Notification of Appellate Case Filings
- Appellate CM/ECF allows members of the public to request electronic notification of filings in appellate cases.
- Users must register for a general public access CM/ECF account (Public Interested Party account).
- This account allows users to request electronic notification of filings in cases pending before an appellate court using the CM/ECF utility Notice for Cases of Interest.
- To view documents that have been filed in appellate cases, users must have a PACER account (see above).
How to register for a general public access CM/ECF account:
- Go to the appellate CM/ECF account registration site:
- Enter your personal information.
- Select “other (not a public filer)?”
- Enter your address information
- Click Next Page.
- Select the radio button for the Fourth Circuit. Your address information will auto-fill the requested fields.
- Click Next Page.
- A username will be automatically selected for you. You can change the user name to anything you want, provided that it meets the security requirements of at least 7 characters.
- Enter a password of your choosing. A user selected password must be between 8 and 14 characters long with at least two non-alphabetic characters.
- Confirm your password.
- DO NOT CLICK Generate Password.
- Answer the security question provided. If you do not like the question provided, you can replace it with a question of your own.
- Click Submit Form.
- After the Fourth Circuit activates your account, you will receive a confirmation email.
- Login to Appellate CM/ECF and select the Notice for Cases of Interest utility.